Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cheerio - Lennox Street, Richmond. (House blend)

The cafe: Gastronomically, moving my place of work from the CBD to Richmond has been nothing short of a disaster. My midday thought process has gone from 'Where should I eat today?' to 'Where can I eat today?'... And after an overseas holiday and four weeks away from Richmond lunchtime food, I dreaded the thought of it on my first day back at work... Then, for just about the first time in his life, my cousin Matt did something useful... He took me to the recently opened Cheerio! The owners, Chris and Charlotte, are well known around town and have cafe resumes as good as anyone's... The space is small, clean and minimal. It has a real 'warm' feel about it and I love the natural light...it's great for the endorphins! The crowd is mature, respectful and friendly. The menu isn't big but it's damn delicious. I keep going back for the mushroom and walnut paste toastie! And there is a new soup each day too. After going there regularly for the past six weeks, I'm not sure which of the following is less likely: seeing Charlotte in a grumpy mood or seeing Chris wearing long pants...

The coffee: Even if the coffee was bad, I'd still go there just to have my coffee served in the mint green cup and saucer...the coolest in town! The aroma is dominated by strong red berry fruits. And the palate is an avalanche of citrus with a sharp acid kick. The finish is quite long with lashings of licorice. This short mac is as much about texture as it is flavour. Viscous, concentrated, intense and thick. In fact, I'd say it's just as much a ristretto macchiato as it is a short mac... The thing I like most about it is its consistency...I get the same coffee everytime. As you should be able to work out, this is a very strong short mac...there is a lot of punch packed into a small amount of liquid. If you like that style, Chris and Charlotte are your new best friends! Price: $3.50. Score 8.5/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment