Sunday, March 11, 2012

Balmain's - Were Street, Brighton. (House blend)

The cafe: The people of Brighton have been the butt of many Melbourne jokes for as long as I can remember. Of course, they will claim its Tall Poppy syndrome. Possibly... But as long as 'outsiders' visit Church St, Bay St or Dendy St on any given weekend, Brightonians will retain their snobbish reputation... So where does one go? Well, why not by pass all three of these streets and head to Were St instead? This quiet, leafy street is home to a good, old fashioned shopping strip. A milk bar, chemist, local IGA, hairdresser, cute little restaurant and the peace de resistance, a fish and chip shop! Oh, Balmain's is there too. I visited at lunch time on a Sunday yet it was entirely pleasant and relaxed with a bit of Frank Sinatra playing in the background. A good amount of comfortable chairs and tables inside and plenty of room too. I sat on one of the three outside tables and watched the exceptionally well behaved local kids skateboard up and down the footpath. The glass doors and windows are a little boho and there is a good sized blackboard menu. The staff seemed pretty friendly too.
The coffee: As I watched the barista make my coffee, I knew it was going to be good. I have never before seen anybody take as much care as this barista. And you know they are serious about coffee when you get a shot of sparkling mineral water to cleanse your palate with your short mac. The result was a sensory delight. The nose was very smokey and almost meaty. Roasted meat. The taste was very rich and creamy. Definitely a dark coffee but probably on the lighter side of dark. I have to be honest, when I took my first sip I was a little concerned that it was going to be a little bitter. But this tiny hint of bitterness was the entree into a beautiful, round and extraordinary balanced coffee. Very viscous and textural yet silky at the same time. The over-riding flavour was of extremely high quality licorice and the finish was exceptionally long. Nail on the head kind of stuff. Although it's just about at the furthermost point of official SOY territory, I suggest northerner's consider crossing the border to try it... All class. $3.70. Score 9+/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment