Thursday, March 22, 2012

Foxy Brown - South Crescent, Westgarth. (House blend).

The cafe: If I hadn't started this blog, I think I would have lived the rest of my life in Melbourne without ever driving down South Crescent in Westgarth… (I get the impression Westgarth is sub-suburb of Northcote). However, I'm certainly glad I did... Foxy Brown is damn fine! If somebody ever needs to film a scene at a cafĂ© from the 1970’s, all they need to do is turn up there... Retro chairs, light fittings, colours, ceiling fans and even a retro air conditioner! The stereotype powers were smiling on me the day I visited. A braless lady on my left and a lesbian couple with a child on my right…all I needed was a chick with a sleeve to get the Northcote trifecta! Foxy is extremely kid friendly with lots of high chairs for the littlies, toys for the slightly bigger ones and a good selection of children's books too. The staff are super friendly and there is a cute little menu. Being an aficionado of fine tofu, I decided to try the tofu burger...and I highly recommend it. There is no attitude, everybody is welcome and you will never feel intimidated. At first they lost a few points for the background music being some chick slaughtering RUN DMC but quickly won them back when they cut short Macy Gray and jumped to Madness instead. It must be love...

The coffee: A nicely presented coffee that gets served with a little biscuit. Maybe it's to match the nose as there was plenty of biscuit in the aroma in addition to pleasant smells of straw. The palate had coffee wafer on the front end and light citrus acidity on the finish. The after taste had subtle hints of licorice. Medium bodied and not too creamy or textural. The milk quantity was spot on but it could have done with a little extra liquid...so it was a fraction unbalanced. Served a bit warm but not unpleasant. $3.40. Score 8-8.5/10.






No comments:

Post a Comment