Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Las Chicas - Carlisle Street, East St Kilda. (House blend)

The cafe: There is no doubt this is the most popular cafe on Carlisle St. It often has up to 50 people waiting on a Sunday morning. So I thought the best time to pay a visit was the furthermost time away from that - just before closing on a Wednesday! I hadn't been there for years and after reading the menu and ordering the most expensive lentil burger in Melbourne ($15.50!) I realised why - it was just as unexciting as the last time I was there... The place has expanded and probably now seats 70-80 people. The staff belong on Smith St, Collingwood not in St Kilda...way too cool for school for this neck of the woods... I don't get the fuss about Las Chicas...but plenty of others do so it'll still be going strong long after this review!


The coffee: I should have known I was in trouble when I walked in and the barista was wearing a baseball cap backwards. And my hopes were totally dashed when the waitress came back and asked me how I wanted my short mac...long with two shots or in a small glass...wtf??? Anyway, the aroma was extremely dark with intense green notes and strong red and black fruits...a bit overboard. The palate was totally dominated by the darkest chocolate flavour I have ever tasted in a coffee. It was actually quite sickly. The crema would not blend into the liquid and the balance was not good. The after taste was quite unpleasant too. A very average short mac. $3.50. Score 5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment