Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Salford Lads Club - Fennel Street, Port Melbourne. (House blend)

The cafe: I'm not sure whether the owners of this cafe named it after the original Salford Lads Club in Manchester or after the album sleeve from The Smiths 'The Queen is Dead' album that contained a photo of the band outside the building... The sticker on the cash register suggests it's probably the latter... Either way, this place is damn cool. It's located in an industrial zone in Port Melbourne...far away from Bay Street and the high-rise apartments. The inside has been designed fantastically. Lots of seating, space and natural light. There is a good selection of rolls on display and a punchy blackboard menu with some yummy larger meals. Outside, there is a tyre hanging from a tree, herbs growing in boxes and pots and some additional seating. I sat on the colourful park bench with my best mate Oogie and enjoyed a very tasty cheese, tomato and pesto roll. The crowd could be anything depending on the day...just go there with no expectations... Our waitress was a little spaced-out but that just added to the experience...
The coffee: I've had a few ordinary coffees of late. All served in shot glasses not espresso cups. So when this baby arrived I thought to myself "Oh shit, not another one"... However, this wasn't the case at all. The aroma was of light and medium chocolate, ice coffee and cream. The palate had flavours of dark chocolate and dark red fruits with hints of charcoal and greenness. I was pleasantly surprised how well the crema blended into the liquid. I still thought it was way too much but it wasn't at all unenjoyable. It was quite textural and had a nice little acid lift on the back end. The balance was good but not great. I'm told the blend is made for milk based coffee's...maybe that's why the balance was a little off. Whilst the short mac was very good, I get the feeling it was not the best one they've ever made... I think they probably make better coffee than this and I'll be back to have another look very soon. $3.00. Score 8-8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment