Monday, April 16, 2012

St Ali - Yarra Place, South Melbourne. (Brazilian single origin)

The cafe: People often compare parts of Melbourne to New York. I usually don't see it... But the tiny street of Yarra Place, South Melbourne is an exception. It screams Lower East Side. And located smack, bang in the middle of it is this coffee institution. St Ali was one of the first cafes to inspire the current Melbourne coffee generation. There are plently of single origins available and they know how to make coffee too. The inside looks like the eating area of a school camp, the crowd is mixed and there is a decent sized menu. I like to sit outside on the bench...it makes me feel like I'm in NYC... ;-). My favourite waitress in Melbourne worked there up until today. She is off to travel the world now and I promised I would say hello to her in this post... Bon Voyage Katie! Never lose that killer smile...
The coffee: Because of an archaic rabbinical ruling, this was my first coffee in eight days... And what a coffee to get back in the game with! A beautifully presented short mac. Just about the most 'coffee coloured' coffee I have ever had! The aromas were quite smokey and a bit meaty with some hints of nuttiness. The palate was all dark chocolate, cocoa and dark red fruit. It was like eating a liquid Black Forrest cake! A medium bodied coffee with fansatic texture, balance, temperature and after taste. An absolute must... Price $3.80. Score 8.5-9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment